This assignment has multiple objectives:
- Think about and practice the design skills needed in professional writing
- Consider the ways that writing is a visual and material practice
- Create and reflect on the process of creating work
- Develop a design vocabulary for talking about and evaluating writing and design practices by writing and speaking about your project.
Your Task: (100 points total)
- Choose a design challenge from Creative Workshop as a starting place.
- Make something.
- Do some research about design practices or tools the tools you used to make something.
- Reflect on your process, and write about it.
- Publish a blog post (At least 500 words) that explains what you did and what you learned
- Give a 10 minute in-class presentation about your project, and one of the design concepts you practiced or the tools you used. Create a material or digital take-away for your classmates. .
Further instructions and guidelines can be found on the assignment calendar.
I know you’re learning. I want these projects to be fun, and I want you to be adventurous and experiment. We’re not looking for perfection here, but serious engagement, attempts at quality production, and a commitment to teaching and learning together. The only way to do this assignment wrong is to not do it, or to do it half-heartedly.
If you have questions as you are working on these projects, you can ask them in the comments on this post, or using the comment feature of Google Docs on the assignment calendar.